According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average annual and hourly income of occupational therapy professionals in Maine in 2018 was $72,160 and $33.13 and there are about 1,000 employed as an OT in Maine. This is lower compared to New Hampshire, which boasts an average salary of $89,329, and lower than the national average salary for occupational therapists. Licenses in Maine for different professionals of occupational therapy are issued by the Maine Board of Occupational Therapy Practice.
Occupational therapy schools in Maine offer various courses for different degrees and levels in this field. These programs include bachelor’s, master’s, doctorate’s, associate’s, and dual degree programs. Occupational therapy assistants go for an associate’s degree while those who want to work as occupational therapists, enroll for bachelor’s, master’s or the dual degree courses. Existing OT professionals can complete the master’s degree in one to two years, however, if someone is a graduate, then they will gain the same degree in two to three years. Those who want to do both graduation and post-graduation in a lesser time period, i.e. 5 years, can go for a dual degree program. The schools, universities or colleges you choose should be Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) or American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) approved.
Accredited Occupational Therapy Programs in Bangor
Located in Penobscot County, Bangor, Maine is home to over 31,000 residents. As of January 20, 2020, the average salary for an occupational therapist in Bangor is about $80,429. There is only one accredited school for occupational therapy in Bangor, ME.
- Program: This graduate-level program is for students who have completed a baccalaureate degree in any field and who now want to pursue a career in occupational therapy, a high-growth healthcare profession.
- Admissions: The Graduate Admissions Applications covers application into all Husson graduate programs with the exception of Physical Therapy. Applicants will be asked to create a profile and select their desired state term, followed by the application program.
- Tuition and Fees: Master’s of Science in Occupational Therapy pay $710 per credit hour, at about 98 credits — totaling to $69,580.
Accredited Occupational Therapy Programs in Portland
Located in Cumberland County, Portland, Maine is home to over 66,000 residents. The average salary for OT’s in Portland, Maine is $119,795. There are two accredited OT schools located in Portland, Maine.
University of New England
Master of Science in Occupational Therapy Program
716 Stevens Ave.
Portland, ME 04103
- Program: UNE’s Master of Science in Occupational Therapy (M.S.O.T.) program is a graduate program that lasts 24 months. It will prepare students in client-centered critical thinking and clinical excellence for a fulfilling and successful occupational therapy practice.
- Admissions: All applicants must apply through the Occupational Therapy Centralized Application Service. It is highly recommended for candidates to apply as early as possible in the admissions cycle to ensure consideration for an invitation to interview.
- Tuition and Fees: Over the course of the two years in the program, the total cost to attend totals out to $91,345.
University of Southern Maine
Occupational Therapy (MOT)
PO Box 9300
Portland, ME 04104
- Program: Students in the Master of Occupational Therapy (MOT) program will complete 80 graduate credits consisting of 7 semesters of coursework, including 6 months of full-time fieldwork. All courses in the curriculum must be completed with a cumulative average of B or better to earn the MOT degree. The Course Sequence Guide for full and part-time students can be found under the Additional Information section of the MOT website.
- Admissions: Admission to the Master of Occupational Therapy program is competitive with limited spaces each fall. The program seeks applicants who have a bachelor’s degree in a field other than occupational therapy with a record of academic achievement and who are committed to employing interdisciplinary approaches and strategies in the study of occupational therapy. Applicants must meet the qualifications. These include, but are not limited to:
- A minimum GPA of 3.0;
- Completion of the prerequisite courses;
- GRE scores are not required.
- Tuition and Fees: Estimated costs for in-state applicants for the MOT program range between $39,532 and $39,627. Estimated costs for out-of-state applicants for the MOT program range between $97,132 and $97,227.
Accredited Occupational Therapy Assistant Programs in Fairfield
Fairfield is located in Somerset County, Maine and has a population of just over 6,000. The average annual salary for an occupational therapist in Fairfield is $108,207. There is one accredited school for OT assisting in Fairfield.
Kennebec Valley Community College
- Program: The graduate OTA program at KVCC provides students with technical knowledge and skills and promotes the facilitation of professionalism in order that graduates may be competent OT professionals.
- Admissions: Applicants must complete the admissions checklist. This includes but is not limited to:
- Completion of one job shadow;
- Essay prompts are located on the Admission Essay Form.
- Tuition and Fees: Tuition ranges from $94 per credit hour and $141 per credit hour. Fees include but aren’t limited to parking, enrollment, student liability insurance, and graduation fees.