Occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants enjoy rewarding careers that require a degree. Licenses for practice are regulated by the Montana Department of Labor and Industry Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. To work in the occupational therapy industry, you must first attend an education program that has been accredited by the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) and Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) standards. You must also pass an exam administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT).
Occupational therapists in the United States earn a variety of salaries. The demand for occupational therapists is growing at 18%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, who also note that the median national pay for an occupational therapist is $84,270 annually, amounting to roughly $40.51 an hour. The average occupational therapist salary in Montana is $89,801, typically ranging from $82,801 to $96,924. There are two available accredited doctorate programs for residents of Billings Montana. The surrounding states wages for occupational therapists are as follows:
- North Dakota: $84,720 per year.
- South Dakota: $75,474 per year.
- Wyoming: $78,472 per year.
- Idaho: $83,218 per year.
Occupational therapy assistant salaries in the United States may vary by state. The demand for occupational therapy assistants and aides is growing at 31%, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, which also notes that the median national pay for an occupational therapy assistant or aid is $57,620 per year, or $27.70 per hour. The average occupational therapy assistant salary in Montana is lower than the national average, with a median of $53,435, and a typical range of $48,140 to $58,705. There are no current accredited programs for occupational assistants in Montana.
Accredited Occupational Therapy Programs in Billings, Montana
The University of Mary
The University of Mary offers a doctorate in occupational therapy that is accredited by the ACOTE of the AOTA. After completion of the doctorate degree, you will be eligible to take the certification by examination. The examination is administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT). Though the University of Mary is based in North Dakota, the school offers the doctoral program in occupational therapy that is available in Billings Montana:
- The University of Mary campus in Billings Montana.
2590 Homan Ave.
Billings, MT 59102
- Tuition: $10,360 per semester. There are nine semesters to complete with a total of 117 credits.
- Application Due Dates: To apply for the University of Mary occupational therapy program, you must submit your application to the Occupational Therapist Centralized Application Service. The deadline for submissions is December 29th. Interviews of applicants will begin mid-January.
- Prerequisites and Application Requirements:
- Students must have completed a bachelor’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants must have completed the following classes:
- Anatomy & Physiology 1, including a lab;
- Anatomy & Physiology 2 including a lab;
- General Chemistry with a lab, or, physics with a lab;
- General Psychology;
- Developmental or Lifespan psychology;
- Abnormal Psychology;
- Medical Terminology, or a passing grade from a competency exam.
- Applicants must have a minimum of three satisfactory letters that reference moral and ethical behavior, academic abilities, and or work ethic.
- Applicants must have at least 20 hours of documented volunteer work with an occupational therapist.
- Applicants must have official GRE scores from within the last five years.
Rocky Mountain College
The Rocky Mountain College in Billings Montana was granted ACOTE accreditation in 2018 and is admitting students for classes beginning in January of 2021. After completion of the doctorate degree, you will be eligible to take the certification by examination. The examination is administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT).
1511 Poly Drive
Billings Montana 59102
Tuition ranges approximately per semester from $12,000-$14,000.
- Application Due Dates:
Applicants must apply through the Occupational Therapy Centralized Application Service (OCTAS). Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible when the OTCAS opens in mid-July and applications are due December 15.
- Prerequisites and Application Requirements:
Applicants must have:
- A bachelor’s degree with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0.
- Completion of prerequisite courses and verification through transcripts:
- Introduction to Biology;
- Human or Vertebrate Anatomy;
- Human or Vertebrate Physiology;
- Physics or Kinesiology;
- Introduction to Psychology;
- Abnormal Psychology
- Introduction to Sociology, or
- Medical Terminology.
- Three letters of reference, with at least one from an occupational therapist, and one from a college professor is recommended.
- 40 hours of exploring occupational therapy as a career, in two different settings.
- A personal essay.
- Proof of the most current score of the Graduate Education Examination.
Future Occupational Therapy Programs In Montana
There is one accredited occupational therapy program that should be available as early as 2021. Graduates of the program will be eligible to take the certification by examination. The examination is administered by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT).
The University of Montana Health and Medicine (UMHM), Missoula MT
The University of Montana Health and Medicine, located in Missoula, Montana does not currently offer an occupational therapy degree, but a doctorate program is in development with an earliest anticipated start date of fall 2021. For more information, contact through email at email@example.com, by phone at (406) 243-4363, or by fax at (403) 243-4209. The address is:
32 Campus Dr.
Missoula MT 59812