These days occupational therapist has become an attractive field for youngsters as future prospects seem to be bright. Aspirants require bachelor’s degree (a 4-year coursework) or master’s degree (a 2-year coursework) to become an OT. The curriculum is designed to offer clinical as well as theoretical knowledge to the students. Before enrolling in any school, one must assure that it is accredited by the AOTA (American Occupational Therapy Association). Stroke rehabilitation, psycho-social difficulties, sensory integration, developmental disabilities, hand therapy, childhood intervention are some topics which are covered in the program.
In May 2017 (as per the Bureau of Labor Statistics), Texas was the third state to give highest employment to the OTs. It employed 10,170 occupational therapists and the employment per thousand jobs was 0.86. Annual and hourly wages of these occupational therapists was $94,530 and $45.45, respectively.
Schools for Occupational Therapists in Texas
There are many schools in Texas that offer academic courses for occupational therapists to make the aspirants ready for caring and assisting the patients going through some mental, physical, emotional or any other kind of problem, in order to make their everyday life easier.
Here is a list of some best schools of Texas:-
- Amarillo College
Address – 2201 South Washington Street, Amarillo, Texas 79109
Contact No. – 806-371-5000
Official Website – https://www.actx.edu
- Abilene Christian University
Address – 1600 Campus Court, Abilene Texas, 79699
Contact No. – 325-674-2000
Official Website – http://www.acu.edu
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center, Lubbock
Address – 3601 4th Street, MS6235, Lubbock, TX 79430
Contact No. – 806-743-2143
Official Website – http://www.ttuhsc.edu
- Texas Woman’s University
Address – 304 Administration Drive, Denton, TX 76204
Contact No. – 940-898-2000
Official Website – http://www.twu.edu
- The University of Texas at El Paso
Address – 500 West University Avenue, El Paso, Texas 79968
Contact No. – 915-747-5000
Official Website – https://www.utep.edu
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Address – 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229
Contact No. – 210-567-7000
Official Website – http://www.uthscsa.edu
- The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston
Address – 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, TX 77555
Contact No. – 409-747-9055
Official Website – http://www.utmb.edu
- The University of Texas-Pan American
Address – 1201 West University Drive, Edinburg, TX 78539
Contact No. – (866) 441-UTPA
Official Website – http://www.utpa.edu
- Baylor University
Address – Waco, Texas 76798
Contact No. – 800-229-5678
Official Website – http://www.baylor.edu
- Lubbock Christian University
Address – 5601 19th Street, Lubbock, Texas 79407
Contact No. – 806-720-7151
Official Website – https://lcu.edu
- The University of Texas Health Science Center at Laredo
Address – 1937 Bustamante Street, Laredo, TX 78041
Contact No. – 956-523-7445
Official Website – http://laredo.uthscsa.edu
- Texas Woman’s University, Houston
Address – 6700 Fannin Houston, TX 77030
Contact No. – 713-794-2000
Official Website– http://www.twu.edu/houston
License Requirements for Occupational Therapists in Texas
Prerequisites for obtaining an occupational therapist license are almost same for all the states of the U.S., but every state may have some additional requirements.
Some basic prerequisites are as follows:
- Complete graduation from an Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) or American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) Accredited School.
- Complete minimum 6 months of clinical occupational therapy experience supervised by a licensed occupational therapist.
- Pass the Occupational Therapist Registered (OTR) exam to get certified at the national level. This exam is conducted by the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy. It is compulsory for the candidates to score at least 70 percentile.
- After clearing the Jurisprudence test, apply for a license in Texas. Jurisprudence exam consists of 20 questions. The board provides a license in between 1 to 4 days after receiving the receipt of all the essential documents.
- Time to time renewal of license is also very important. In order to renew your licensure, you need to complete at least 30 continuing education hours during your current licensure period.
Salary of Occupational Therapists in Texas
As per indeed.com, the salary of occupational therapists in Texas was $82,402 per annum (as of September 8, 2018). The average salary of jobs with related titles was as follows:
|Occupational Therapist Home Health||$92,000|
|Occupational Therapist Rotation||$49,000|
|Occupational Therapist Pediatric Outpatient||$84,000|
|Occupational Therapist Hand||$90,000|
|Occupational Therapist Rehab||$84,000|
|Occupational Therapist Pediatric||$84,000|
|Occupational Therapist Skilled||$84,000|
|Outpatient Occupational Therapist||$92,000|
|Occupational Therapist School||$84,000|
|OT Occupational Therapist Therapy||$98,000|
|Occupational Therapist Outpatient||$84,000|
|Occupational Therapist Acute||$84,000|
|OT Occupational Therapy||$99,000|
|Occupational Therapist Psych||$84,000|
|Occupational Therapist Occupational Therapy||$84,000|
Information Source: indeed.com (as of March 10, 2016)
OT Occupational Therapy LPNs were the highest paid professionals who made $99,000 per annum. Most of the licensed practical nurses with the similar titles earned average annual income of $84,000.
As per salary.com, the Median wages of occupational therapists in Texas was $80,569 in September 1, 2018. However, salaries of occupational therapists may vary from city to city depending on the factors like population and general competitiveness in the market.
|Name of the City||Annual Median Salary|
Information Source: salary.com (as of September 1, 2018)